Op GRANBY Memorial Service and Gathering – Sun 4 Jul 21
The Regiment commemorated the 30th anniversary of the end of operations on Op GRANBY with a video service on 28th February 2021. The Regiment will now hold, as originally planned, the Op GRANBY memorial service at the National Memorial Arboretum (NMA). For those who served on Op GRANBY please read the event calling notice below.
Background. The Regiment will hold the Op GRANBY Memorial Service and Gathering on Sunday 4th July at the National Memorial Arboretum (NMA). This is an invitation only event for the first 200 guests who register to attend the event.
Outline of Event. There are two parts:
- A Service, open to all Third Fusilier Battle Group OP GRANBY veterans, their families and the bereaved families, at the Fusilier Memorial, starting at 1145. The Service will be led by the Honorary Regimental Chaplain, the Reverend Keith Punshon.
- Picnic Lunch within the grounds of the NMA. Due to Covid restrictions, the numbers who are allowed into the NMA Aspects Functions suite will still be restricted on 4th July. Therefore, a picnic lunch box will be provided to all guests. A bar will be provided but guests will be allowed to bring their own beverages (no glass containers allowed).
The Format of the Day.
- Attendees and guests arrive at the NMA. Cars and coaches will park at the NMA carpark. Due to track and trace rules, all attendees will need to register their car details with RHQ before the event. Car parking spaces will be reserved, and car parking will be free for attendees.
- There will be a dedicated desk in NMA reception, manned by the Fusilier Association (Warwickshire), and guests should book in for direction to the Fusilier Memorial. All attendees will need to log into the NMA using the NHS track and trace app and QR code.
- All assemble at the Memorial. The bereaved families will have priority on seating. At 1145 the Service will begin.
- At the end of the Service, there will have the chance to lay your own tributes at the Memorial and visit the NMA.
- Guests collect picnic lunch boxes. It is recommended that attendees bring their own picnic chairs/blankets and wet weather gear. The Warwickshire Band will play during the picnic. At the end, all guests are free to tour the NMA if they wish.
1030: Welcome Desk open.
1130: RRF Band (Warwickshire) start playing at the Fusilier Memorial.
1135: All seated / in place at the Memorial.
1145 – 1215: Memorial Service.
1215 onwards: Tour NMA/ Collect picnic boxes – bar open at 1215.
1230 – 1500: Picnic.
1500: Disperse or tour NMA (self-sufficient).
The NMA address.
The National Memorial Arboretum
Staffordshire DE13 7AR
- Serving: SD with leathers and medals.
- Retired: Jacket/tie and medals.
- Cadets: MTP
Car and coach parking
- Car Parking – free but you must register your vehicle details with RHQ prior to the event.
- Coaches are to drop off at NMA Reception, then park in the main carpark. A suitable notice is needed in the coach window to help NMA marshals.
Wet Weather arrangements. The Service will continue as planned. All should dress for the weather on the day.
NMA Buggies. There will be 2 x NMA buggies available at Reception from 1030 to transport those with restricted mobility to the Fusilier Memorial.
If you wish to attend the event, then please contact: [email protected] and put in the header: OP GRANBY 4 JULY
Please include the following details:
- Names of Attendees:
- Car Details: Make, Model, VRN
- Dietary Requirements: None/Vegetarian/Vegan